Thursday, August 27, 2015

Tidbits from birth to 6 weeks!

(Started writing this post two weeks ago...Elise is acutally 8 weeks now, but I better just post what I have now before I get further behind!!)

What they say is true: time flies by and your baby grows up too quickly!  I will admit, there where times (like 3 in the morning) where I wished for time to pass quickly because of some tough moments, but really I can't believe how much she has already grown and rather than anticipate what's ahead, I'm enjoying every moment and stage she is in now!  I'm amazed at how quickly Elise has started picking new things up.

Here are a few things I want to remember about her first 6 weeks:

-She has a gorgeous smile! Now at week 6, she greets us with smiles each time she sees us!  She LOVES her daddy, and he can always get the biggest smiles our of her. I'm slightly jealous ;) She loves when he says to her, "Woah Dude!" in the cheesiest voice ever.  Her favorite is when you're changing her diaper and she poops on you...she really smiles big then!

-Speaking of poop, this babe can poop!!  I honestly lost count of the number of times she's pooped on Dan or me while we change her diaper!  She's sneaky too...I swear she waits until we've taken of the diaper and gone in with a wipe before she lets out her last remainder of poop.  She's gotten it on the wall even.  But then she flashes that smile of hers and I just melt.  Poop on me all you want little girl.

-She's very alert, and has been since birth.  She loves to observe her surroundings and her big blue (at least for now) eyes just follow Dan and I across the room.  She also loves starting into family and friends eyes.

-She loves her jungle gym and staring at toys.  She swats at them, and as each day goes by she does it with intention rather than just random arm movements. She also loves  to lay flat on her back and stretch out!  If she's fussy and it's not due to hunger/messy diaper, chances are she just wants you to set her down under her jungle gym and let her go to town.  She will lay under that thing for almost an hour, content as can be. Another toy she loves is "Glowy" her glowing seahorse.  We turn on glowy each night before bed and she loves to listen to the music and stare at the glowing light in the dark.

-We had a bit of a scare with Elise's hearing the first week of her life!  Elise failed her first two hearing tests.  The nurse who delivered the news could have definitely done a better job at explaining the details, especially to first time parents!  But instead she came in the room and told us they'd tested her twice and shed'd failed both times so we'd need to get a third test redone in about a week, then she left the room.  Upon hearing that news I broke into tears.  I didn't know what they meant or what questions to ask, even if the nurse had stuck around long enough for me to ask them.  Once I started crying I couldn't stop lol, it was embarrassing.

Once we got home, Dan started doing some research and we learned it is very common for babies to fail their first few hearing tests, and does not mean there is any problems with their hearing; they may simply have amniotic fluid in their ears that hasn't fully drained.  We felt slightly reassured, but I wasn't fully relieved, and was anxious for that third test!  In the meantime, while we waited, we could tell she was "hard of hearing" to say the least!  During the first 5-8 days of her life she really did not respond to much noise.  Yuki's bark, a door slamming, yelling...no response.  On day 5 when I would breastfeed her I started making a high pitched smacking noise with my lips and she would blink her eyes, and if Dan made a loud noise she would again blink her eyes.  We took that as a good sign.  On day 8 she had her third hearing test.  This time we were able to go into the testing room with her.  I wasn't even breathing while they put the earbuds in and started the test. We watched the computer screen, and saw a "FAIL" message come up.  The doctor said to try a smaller ear piece and try again.  This time the results came back "PASS" on both ears!!!  We were so relieved.  As they days went on she started responding to more and more sounds, and she is definitely not deaf or hard of hearing now!

Her smiling at me seriously makes my day!












No comments: