Each year, going on three years now, the Jensen family holds our annual pumpkin carving contest. I am known for my inability to carve...I am really the only one who has to expend a massive amount of brain power into thinking about which lines I cut out and which I don't??? Dan's advice to me: "Just do the opposite of what you want to do and you'll be fine." BTW, stencils are not allowed, or that would be a whole lot simpler!!! I still get flack for the pumpkin I carved two years ago that ended up just being a giant hole because I accidentally cut too much ;)
This activity actually gives me anxiety lol. Truth. But it's also a lot of fun, and we give out awards such as "scariest" "funniest" "cutest" and " A for effort". This year I had looked up many ideas online that seemed simple enough, but days before the carve out, it hit me that it would be so cute to have Elise sitting in the pumpkin!
We were given a one hour time limit to carve then the judging would begin. I cleaned out the pumpkin and etched in the words "My 1st Halloween." Etching sucks. That simple phrase took me 50 minutes lol and Dan and Brent helped me finish within the time frame because my hand was cramping! Dan had planned to start his pumpkin once I finished mine, and held Elise in the meantime. But mine took the full hour, so he didn't get the chance to carve one.
We stripped Elise down to her diaper, and set up a cute little scene. As soon as we placed her in the pumpkin she was hysterical. Crying, flailing, the whole shebang. Can't say that I blame her. It was pretty cold in there and I probably could have cut the leg holes a little bigger, #lifelessons. We snapped a few pictures then pulled her out and she was content as can be. We joked she is going to have a PTSD reaction every time she is near a pumpkin :) :) :)
Of course, I won "Cutest pumpkin" this year!
 |
| Cutest sad face I've ever seen. |
 |
| "Get me outta here!" |
 |
| We thought if we held her she might cheer up...Nope! |
 |
| The gang and their pumpkins. Lorin's pumpkin (far right) kills me!!! He carved a bat, but all I see are Fallopian tubes!!! |
 |
| Whit snapped a few pictures before the carving started. Those big eyes and chipmunk cheeks get me every time! |
 |
| This little babe's got quite the paparazzi. The Jensen bunch is kind of obsessed, which as her momma, I love! |
No comments:
Post a Comment