...giving birth, that is.
My husband sure is a trooper. His first kidney stone came back in April of this year, and then again in May, June, and July...we spent July 24th in the ER. Things were smooth sailing from July to the beginning of September. He hadn't felt the last one pass, but was sure it was gone because he had been symptom free for a few weeks. One morning Dan woke up to go to the bathroom when all the sudden his "flow" was blocked off, and was replaced by an intense sharp stabbing pain. He knew it was a stone because we could actually feel it in his urethra; it felt like a BB. He could barely urinate, it was more like a drip from a broken faucet.
After a few weeks of this, he realized it wasn't going anywhere so he made an appt. with our family doctor. She told him he could give it another week or so and try to force it out himself; the idea was that by pinching off his urethra when he had to pee until the pressure built up, then releasing it, it would force the stone out. Similar to when you fold a hose in half then release it. Well, unfortunately that did not work either, and he made an appt. with a urologist. The urologist figured that since it was so close to coming out he could go up there with a wire scope, which had a clasp on the end to grab the stone and pull it out. Dan was not put out, and was only given a "local" anesthetic (he was given a shot straight down the middle of his penis). Well this stone was just too stubborn, and too big; hence, that did not work either. They only alternative left was actual surgery.
This morning we went to the Utah Central Surgery center where Dan was admitted. They put him out, which I was grateful for, but let's hope I still feel that way when I see the bill lol! The surgery itself only took about 45 minutes. The stone looked like a cluster of granola. It was as big as my 1/2 k diamond, but overall has cost much more! Dan was a little loopy afterwards, but didn't say anything too embarassing. For the next three days he has a catheter in, and will be pretty doped up, but we are so grateful this stone is finally out, and that there were no complications with his surgery! Now we can take it in and have it tested to see what is causing them!
14 comments:
DANG that sounds very painful!!! Glad he got it out and hope things heal up quickly!!!
This is way too much info! ;)
But I'm glad it went well! I hope this fixes things for good!
Looks perdy. Maybe you should replace the diamond in your ring with that stone?
Or... maybe not
oh my huge! yeah maybe dan will be able to sympothize with you when your pregnant... glad everything went well!!
That is so big! I'm sure it hurt. I'm glad it is out and he is doing better now.
Ugh that makes me queasy! Sounds terrible but hopefully things will get better.
woah. hopefully his man-hood feels better. soon. Sheeeesh. that thing is a MONSTER!
That is so painful! I hope he gets feeling better and stays better!
I had them one time and I thought I was going to die. Good Luck!
I hope he has a fast recovery! Poor guy...that stone is huge! Ugh! Also....happy late birthday! I'm glad it was a good one!! :)
Ok that was some graphic information! I'm so glad everything is out of there! Especially the wire!
I hope Dan is feeling better! Let me know if there is anything we can do for you guys!
Hope Dan is feeling better. What an ordeal!
We are doing well and enjoy our new home. The bedrooms are big and there is a lot of counter/cupboard space in the kitchen! We miss OH and our friends, but we are starting to feel more adjusted to MO. Thanks for asking, Savannah.
oh my gosh! that totally make me cringe...then laugh hysterically!!
Post a Comment