Monday, October 20, 2008

Gone Fishin'

Fishing looks easy, right? You tie your line, you cast out and reel in (hopefully with a fish on your line)...but what happens when you fish for nine hours and all you catch are ten lb sticks and moss? Insanity!

Last weekend Dan and I went to Salmon, ID with his family to see his cousin Brianna get baptised and also enjoy some steelhead fishing. We got to Salmon on Thursday, and checked into our Bed and Breakfast which was so homey and beautiful. All of the rooms were just amazing! Every morning we had some yummy eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, and either waffles, french toast, or biscuits and gravy. Friday morning we wake up early and ate then head out to a place called Lemhi Hole, it was so freaking cold! I had never fished for steelheads, and got told they can weigh 20-30 lbs, so I was braced for a fight, but never got the chance! Dan's mom, Sue got the first catch of the day... a small trout.
Dan jumped on the bed after a seven hour drive!

Bridgette and Jake (Dan's siblings) also caught some ugly sucker fish.. I guess that you are not supposed to release those back into the water because they eat all the steelheads' eggs, so to put the fish out of it's misery she had to smash it's head into a rock, I felt bad for the little guy! So we fished for about five hours that day and pretty much got skunked. Saturday morning we decided to head up to canyon to some other holes, we spent nine hours rotating between about five different places, and still no steelheads! Dan caught a couple trout and I also caught a small one! All in all we had a lot of fun being with family and goofing around. Dan was sure patient with me durirng all my snags and line breakers! I managed to get my line all tangled around a tree next to me not once, but twice! Bridgette managed to do the same and even fall into the river...that was pretty funny. Saturday night we finished the vacation with dinner at a nice restaurant in town called "The Shady Nook". Delicious, but expensive, Dan's 12 oz steak was $22!
What a hott fisherman if I do say so myself!

The ugly sucker fish

Sue, Lorin, Jake, and Whit fishing at Lemhi hole

I was fighting with a big one there!

Along with fishing we spent the nights playing games and telling funny family stories. Dan even got to enjoy some golfing! We took Yuki with us, and she did so well! She was so good to just sit on my lap and relaxe in the long car rides! She got to play with all the cousins and she got to go on a hike with them to to hot springs. I think she misses all the attention now that we are home!


7 comments:

Misty said...

Sounds like so much fun! Glad you got to have a little get-away!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time! Aren't you glad you have a blog to share all your fun on? :)

Mandy said...

It does sound like you had a lot of fun. I just wish that Salmon was a little bit closer to Twin Falls so that we could have met up... Oh well, 3 more weeks, right?

All About Austins said...

Looks like you guys had fun! I wish I could have gotten work off.. Gah! O well! Next time!

Chelsey said...

We haven't been fishing since we had Madilyn. That was forever ago. But It can be pretty fun. I have some scrapbook papers for you. I better see you at the Halloween party next thursday. Dressed UP!

Melissa + Brett said...

You are a brave women to touch those yucky fish. I'll fish if someone will bait my hook and take the fish off after I catch it. The bed and breakfast looks so cute. I'm so glad you had a good time.

Mama D said...

What a great get-away! That bed-and-breakfast looks like a return trip is in order someday...